As the pictures show, Carlton North Primary School is exceptionally lucky to have such a beautiful library space. Spatially, it’s impressive, but the library itself is so much more than a beautiful space. It has a life of its own. And is loved by our whole school community.
Listed below are some of the library programs we run.
- Library class sessions: Each class has a weekly library session in which we explore stories, share insights, ask questions, borrow books, laugh and grow.
- Twilight Storytime: This is an evening story reading session that is held once a semester in the library from 6pm-6.45pm. We focus on Foundation students in first semester and the whole school in the second semester. Students are encouraged to come in their pyjamas, dressing gowns and slippers and bring along their favourite book to share with the group. It’s a book show and tell for younger students! This is a great opportunity for parents and carers to explore our library and the delights within.
- Little Bookroom Group: Year 3-6 are involved in this program, which is run on a semester basis.Two students from each 3 to 6 class are selected to buy books from our local children’s bookshop, The Little Bookroom. It’s important that students have agency in which books are selected for their library.
- CBCA- Junior Judges: This is a tie-in with the Children’s Book Council Australia (CBCA) award’s announcement in August. The students vote on books in two separate categories, Younger Readers and Early Childhood, which are both picture storybook categories. We then compare our choices with the ‘official’ judge’s choices. The students’ picks are usually different to the judge’s choices and, in my opinion, the students are usually spot on. I may be biased.
- Book Week: This includes a book parade in which students come dressed as their favourite book character, we hold a twilight storytime session and there’s a Little Bookroom visit.
- Family Borrowing: Our library is a great resource and, as such, the school community should have access to it. Family borrowing provides an opportunity for families to borrow from the library both during the term and for the holidays. This program is handy if you have pre-school kids at home. We have a huge selection of picture story books that can be borrowed for a two-week period.
- Library Lunchtime: The library is open on Thursdays and Fridays during lunchtime activities on Thursdays and Fridays. Students can read, draw, play games, build lego creations, play cards etc. It’s a very popular time with the students.
- Library Monitors: Students in Year 3-6 are in charge of returning and borrowing for their class. Monitors also help out at lunchtime, doing odd jobs for the library.